When Bouwbedrijf M.J. de Nijs en Zonen BV was founded in 1920, the family had already been involved in "brickwork on municipal property" for two generations. After the war, there was plenty of work and from 1955 contractor De Nijs carried out major non-residential projects within the region and, later, throughout the country. In 1972 the current B.V. was established, managed by four sons of Matthias Jacobus de Nijs. A great deal of renovation and restoration work was carried out in Amsterdam. In 1988, the shares of the brothers were transferred to nine cousins. From that moment, there was support from a Board of Supervisory Directors. Since 2013, there has been a gradual transition to the next generation of shareholders.
The focus is on the capital city and the region. In cities such as Amsterdam, the construction company De Nijs has realised high-profile construction projects in recent years. For instance, the: Eye Filminstituut Nederland and the Hermitage.